IntroductionThe Eco-Resort which is located at the south-east of Phnom Penh, envisions an authentic experience where guests get to appreciate nature, culture and architecture harmoniously integrated as one. It delivers a holistic exposure through its numerous amenities and attractions, and is the perfect getaway catering to a wide diversity of entertainment, relaxation, adventure or privacy needs. How can architecture be framed to promote and maximize the potential of a site? Our design follows these core principles to promote Eco-Tourism:
- Designing to minimize physical, social, behavioral and psychological impacts to site and its inhabitants.
- Identifying the rights, beliefs and traditions of the indigenous people in the community and partner with them to create empowerment.
- Deliver an impactful interpretative experience for visitors to raise sensitivity to host countries’ environmental and social climates.
- Accommodate for direct financial benefits for conservation
Site Planning StrategiesSite Analysis The site is situated along a new canal that extends from a river tributary. This presents the opportunity to create water activities and irrigation for farmland along the new canal. It sustains the livelihood of the villages surrounding it by providing an abundantly fresh supply of fish. The densely forested area has its own ecosystem and a sustainable relationship with the locals that live in it. The river presents an opportunity to incorporate fishing activities for leisure for visitors but it must be done sensitively and sustainably. Site Planning Land is allocated to the 4 main groups of usage/activities:
- The conserved forest
- Recreational spaces
- Resort core and accommodation